Monday, April 9, 2012

At least I wasn't arrested

I didn't get out on the trail at all this weekend, and wanted to go this evening when I got home from work. Instead, I discovered that I'd locked myself out of the house (again! second time in six months!) and had to figure out how to break in without actually breaking anything. I managed to climb in through a bedroom window. There's a big holly bush in front of the window, and I left the stepladder under the bush because once I was in, I couldn't bring myself to fight my way into the bush again to retrieve the stepladder. So next time I lock myself out, it'll be easy to break in. Or, burglars!

It was too late by then to consider going out, and anyway I have a massive bruise on my right leg that hurts like hell. I dug around online to read other people's hiking blogs instead.

Well, here's what the typical hiking blog is like: "We hit the trail at 7am and hiked up to Greatview despite Mike blowing out a boot and the temperature dropping to -65F with blizzard conditions expected. We met up with Jordan at Greatview, but we didn't have time to visit long because she's on a through hike and had to get her goal in of 200 miles a day. She did tell us she no longer finds joy in the great outdoors and just wants to get this over with so she can stay in a five-star hotel for a week. After a refreshing dip in the Great Salt Pond, Mike and I hiked to Dessicated Canyon to watch the sun set. Here are 42 photos of our water bottles."

I'm sure I'll find some good hiking blogs out there, especially if I keep hurting myself doing stupid stuff so I can't get out to break in my new boots some more. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Of course, although two of my favorites either haven't posted recently or post rarely:

    Whiskey and the Midnight Sky

    What Would Ed Do?

    Then, of course, there's mine, which doesn't have as much personality as the first two, and is somewhat similar to the style you don't want. But it's mine, so I have to plug it:

    My Own 100 Hikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I missed your comment until today! I like your blog. I don't mind people talking about their hikes (how would you have a hiking blog without talking about hikes?), I just get bored if I don't know the people in the photos and there's no descriptions given, etc.

    ReplyDelete