Saturday, April 14, 2012

How not to attract shoppers

I got a check in the mail today that I totally didn't expect, which is always nice. So I decided I should probably just get a freaking daypack so I can quit stressing over it. I started my search online, of course, although I'll probably buy the pack locally.

My search was for "daypacks for women." I clicked through a few sites, REI and The North Face, just glancing over the selection quickly before I go back and take closer looks. Then I came to a site called ABC of Hiking. Never heard of them before, but what the heck.

Here's the introductory sentences on the Women's Day Packs page: "We understand how women indulge into shopping a lot and how it sometimes serves as a therapy for them. This section of ABC-of-Hiking shop caters to those girls who love to shop and those who are looking for the best and most fashionable day packs. Filter the day packs you like, save all your favorites, and click straight through the freshest picks of the season! You'll find every woman's must-have day packs here!"

Here's their introductory sentences on the Men's Day Packs page: "ABC-of-Hiking has the best day packs for men based on their interests. For a father, husband, brother, or friend - there is definitely something for every guy here in our shop. We understand how men hate to shop, that's why we built the premise of making it even more convenient for them by providing this comprehensive selection of day packs for all male outdoor enthusiasts."

Whoa. What is this I don't even, as the kids say. Who wrote that stuff? They manage to insult women and men, not to mention hikers--because whatever their sex, I have never met a hiker who wouldn't love to spend hours examining gear before making the final decision. 'Fashionable' isn't top of the list of things hikers (of either sex) are looking for when they look at gear, too.

So no, ABC, I will not be buying from your site. (I wouldn't anyway because the text reads like it was translated into English by Babelfish so that the site looks amateurish and shifty, but you know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment